[OM] Re: ( OM ) Tamron 80-200/2.8 LD fs,

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Tamron 80-200/2.8 LD fs,
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:40:40 -0800
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi,
>Does the dust on a lens element bother anyone?

No.

>I saw one earlier  on ebay described as OM mount, though I don't know if all
>of these are adaptall with OM option.

Yes, all are Adaptall2.

>Can one still use an Oly teleconverter with this lens?

The 2xA works fine. I don't have a 1.4xA, but I'm sure it won't
physically fit on the Tamron. Not nearly enough clearance behind the
rear element for the protruding nose of the 1.4xA.

Tamron makes their own 1.4x which connects to the Adaptall2 mount on the
back of the lens and accepts the various Adaptall2 camera mount adapters
its the back. I believe Walt has reported that the Tamron 1.4x is very
good, but is not quite as good as the Oly on the Tamron 300/2.8 and
400/4 primes.

This particular lens is shown with the rare bayonet mount hood, although
it isn't mentioned in the text. However, it doesn't have the almost
impossible to find tripod mount. The mont is slightly fragile and may
break if overtightened, so there are fewer monts than lenses around. The
Oly tripod mount for the 300/4.5 and 65-116 Atuo Tube may be rather
easily modified to fit the Tamron 80-200/2.8 and at least one listee who
has done so prefers it to the original. These mounts are still available
new from John H., Camtech <http://zuiko.com/Whatsleft.htm>.

If planning to use an Adaptall lens on an OM-3 or 4 series body, read
this <http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/OMTamronMount.pdf>.

>I am reluctant to use esnipe if other members are interested.

Why? They won't be reluctant. This has been discussed many times and the
clear consensus has been that you should bid what you are willing to
pay, snipe or not. If for no other reason than that there is no way you
are going to know if another list member is bidding or planning to bid,
so you might just be letting it go to an outsider, gasp! Many list
members use snipe programs.

And why am I so forthcoming? Because I already have a nice one with hood
and tripod mount.... :-)

Moose