[OM] Re: Olympus and Voice af the Customer.

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus and Voice af the Customer.
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:48:11 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Stephen Scharf wrote:
>                                               Either alone is
> not enough. My comments were directed to hopefully add some
> additional perspective on Wayne's and Moose' interesting comments;
> which were that Oly is not meeting the needs of these particular
> customers. Oly's lack of VOC goes way back; when they abandoned pros
> years ago with respect to the OM-1 system, they clearlt were not
> listening to the needs of their pro customers back then, either.

I think most of that can be attributed to poor marketing and customer
service, Olympus has never been very good at either of them.  I believe
Olympus is fully aware of the shortcomming of the E-1 vs the competition.
Whether or not they can do anything about it is another matter.  Today
patents play a very important part of product development.  Olympus can't
just run off and implement an IS technology which infringes on someones
patent.  It's the same as the sensor dust problem.  Why haven't Canon and
Nikon offered anything to address that problem?  I'm sure they're well
aware of it, yet they're doing nothing to address it?  I'm sure once they
have a solution that doesn't infringe on Olympus' patent you'll see it
appear on all their cameras (with the claim that they invented it of
course :-). It's unfortunate but legal issues do influence product development
these days.
                                -mark