[OM] Re: Speaking of Squirrels...

Subject: [OM] Re: Speaking of Squirrels...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:04:18 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>I hate to ask if the little guy survived.  It reminds me of several
>attempts in the distant past to nurse andandoned or orphaned wild life
>babies... none of them successful.

There are licensed wild animal care/rehab facilities in many areas. I
once lived with a woman who volunteered at one. In addition to a day a
week in the clinic, she rehabed hummingbirds at our house. She could
help ill or injured birds and raise abandoned ones even from the egg. In
the season we sould have several cages on a protected deck in addition
to the large one in the back yard.

Shw once filled in for a friend who worked with squirrels. What
madness!! With birds, you only have to deal with them while it is light,
they sleep all night. She had a batch of baby squirrels and had to get
up every two hours all night to feed them. Cute as can be, but just
exhausting. We got them when they didn't have any fur yet and wer very
small. One was smaller and weak from the beginning and finally didn't
make it, but the rest grew up and were released in the wild.

We saw some very sad, unintentional, cruelty to animals by people who
tried to take care of them before turning to the experts. They all have
such different needs. Some birds won't do well unless near a noisy group
of their kind, so they stay in the main aviary room. Others, like
hummingbirds, simply don't survive in that environment, so they are
taken care of in trained volunteers' homes.

Moose