[OM] Re: [OT] Ftp connections (to godaddy.com)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Ftp connections (to godaddy.com)
From: Jonas Otter <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:00:09 +0100
When your ftp connection goes down, it is your client that loses contact
with the host. The ftp server is keeping the connection open but your
client has lost it, the server will keep the connection up until it
times out (apparently after 10 minutes). So when you try again, you set
up a new connection, which goes down but is still open on the server,
etc. After three tries you hit the open connections limit on the server
and have to wait until one of your failed connections has timed out on
the server. The problem could be anywhere, probably not your side since
you have tried several different clients.

If you are in Finland, why not try www.shellkonto.se ? I use them with
my own domain, I pay 399 SEK a year for just about unlimited space, they
have Apache/Linux/MySQL/PHP and I can connect to a Unix shell. Service
is friendly, quite fast and efficient although a bit unorganised (they
started as a couple of geeks working out of an apartment). Highly
recommended. The published limits are more of a recommendation I think,
I don't think they actually enforce anything unless you start becoming a
problem to them or other customers :-)

Jonas