[OM] Re: Dead Mother (Now with pictures!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dead Mother (Now with pictures!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:46:23 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:

><snip> Then three years ago, at the age of 84, she had to have knee surgery.
>When her recuperation wasn't as quick as she thought it ought to be and she
>was unable to get up and down the stairs like she used to, couldn't do her
>gardening, run out in the back yard to chase the squirrels off her bird
>feeders, or drive her red Caddy to the grocery store, she got discouraged,
>took to bed, and that was the beginning of the end.  She never drove again,
>and nothing any of us could do or say could get her out of her funk.  It was
>like watching a train wreck, but she just gave up.  My son and his wife moved
>in with her, so we were able to keep her in her own home, in her own bed,
>until the end.  That's what she wanted, and even up to the last hours,
>although she appeared to no longer recognize either me or my son, she seemed
>to know she was still at home.
>
>Hope all goes well for your mom.  Sometimes we have to make difficult choices.
> From what I know of you based only on what I read on this list, I know you'll
>do what you think is best for her.

Thanks for the good wishes. Same age and same problem for my mom as for
yours. The knee surgery went fine, and the knee healed quickly but she
had all kinds of other problems, probably her body reacting poorly
overall to surgery. In her case, though, she is only mildly depressed by
the changes in what she can do, not in a deep funk. In our case, she is
the one suggesting assisted living. We would just as soon she hade some
modest modifications to her had and had help in. The economics are more
attractive so far snf eho wants to visit one of those places full of
ancient people.

Moose