[OM] Re: 21/2

Subject: [OM] Re: 21/2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:51:24 -0700
Walter Tani wrote:

>C.H.Ling wrote:
>

>>Most likely a 21/2, who will pay $800-1100 for a 21/3.5?
>>

>Several Can*n FF sensor users, so far.
>
>Moose
>------------------------------
>
>Awww, c'mon, Moose. Canon's not a disease, y'know :)

I don't see where what I said was either positive or negative. As far as
possible, it was meant to be simply information. Simply put, Can*n FF
sensor shooters bid up the price of some Zuiko lenses quite a bit above
previous levels. Not good or bad, just is.

Besides, I have, and use extensively, a 300D, and like it very much. My
last P&S film camera was a Can*n, my first digital camera was a Can*n
S110, which I liked very much. My flatbed scanner is a Can*n and I am on
my second Can*n film scanner. My current plan is to get a Can*n 9950F, too.

Oh, dear, if Can*n is a disease, I may have it!  :-)   Didn't like their
film SLRs though, so I may be ok.

>OT, but I'm waiting for the 5D to drop in price; end of this year? beginning
>next year?

Yep, I'm very interested in that too. There are some real practical
advantages to FF for some photographic uses.

>and if there are any closet Canonphiles out there (it's ok,
>c'mon, admit it), you GOTTA see what's happening to the prices of the 1Ds
>and 1DsMkII.... I watched an auction on the bay this morning for a 1DsMkII,
>a $6000 body, go for just under $3100; had my finger on the button, but the
>guy had some weird feedback. Unbelievable. If you've lusted after one, now's
>the time, methinks.

Boat anchors, and a Danforth works better for much less money.  :-) I
just cannot see myself carrying around such a monster. Photography is
for fun for me, and I just wouldn't be having much fun that way. It's
only a matter of time before better than 1Ds II performance will be
available in something 5D size and price. In the meantime, the 5D looks
very attractive for me when the price comes down to something under
$2,500. I just don't have that much need for the pro features of better
sealing, longer shutter life, etc. considering the size, weight and
price. In fact, I was seriously considering a super wide zoom for the
smaller sensor, but dropped the idea in favor of saving the money for a
camera that restores my existing WA lenses to actual WA use ni a package
more suited to my needs.

Moose