[OM] Re: Advice, Macs, Projectors, vaguely on-topic !

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice, Macs, Projectors, vaguely on-topic !
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:05:47 -0700

>From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Advice, Macs, Projectors, vaguely on-topic !
>Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 21:30:36 +0100
>
>Hi Guys,
><SNIP>
>
>Anyway, 2nd thing.  A friend of mine (shooting a C*n*n Digital - one of
>the expensive ones !) has been asked to shoot a show that his sister is
>doing at Uni.  He wants to show off the pictures straight afterwards,
>and wants to do a slide show either on a Monitor or using a projector
>onto the wall.

SNIP

>Personally, I would take a laptop or a PC & monitor rather than a
>projector unless I could guarantee at least a white wall (and preferably
>a proper screen).  However, he would have to buy stuff whatever happens.
>He has no laptop, so some kind of portable computer would be needed
>(he's a mac user, so would need to be mac for the sake of software).  He
>is interested in hiring a projector, but doesn't know where to start !
>
>So, given everyone here has a wealth of experience and knowledge, I
>thought I'd canvas for your thoughts.  Where would one start looking to
>hire a Computer Projector ?  What sort of minimum spec should we be
>looking for ?  Should we completely abandon the projector idea ?

Jon,
I too think the computer projector would be the best bet if you can
hire one, but bear in mind that unless they are profiled, they are
notorious for projecting pretty inaccurate color-that is, they tend
to be poorly color-managed. If you can find a service bureau that
rents one, for example, they may be able to profile one for the
computer system used to drive the projector.
A profiling spectrophotomer e.g., a Gretag MacBeth EyeOne Photo would
be able to do this.

Cheers,
Stephen Scharf

--