[OM] Re: Flash connectors question

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash connectors question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:02:09 -0700
Dan Mitchell wrote:

>Maybe I'm just missing something, but what's the PC connector good for?

Back when many of us started photography, the PC connecter was the only
way flashes connected to cameras. And a big convenience improvement it
was over the several other non-standardized connectors that preceded it.
The flashes used one shot bulbs and connected to a PC connector right on
the shutter of many cameras and the bodies of others. When electronic
flashes appeared, they too all had a wire dangling out with a PC
connector on the end. A few manufacturers, Rollei was one, had special
versions of the PC connector that were less liable to get loose and
simply fall off at inopportune times.

Hot shoes were a great innovation, still just a contact to fire the
flash, no communication, but no wires in the way. First implementations
were often odd. The Nik*n F had a thingie that slipped over the rewind
crank to hold the flash.

>Is it only intended for great big studio lights or something? I was
>expecting that I'd be able to use that as a way of getting off-camera
>flash -- I'd have to set all the exposure/flash up by hand because all
>it would do is trigger the flash,

Not all that long ago, that was the only way...

Moose