[OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing + OM content

Subject: [OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing + OM content
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:28:29 -0400
Brian Swale wrote:

> Well and good; however, if I want to produce prints from the digital
> information (and I usually do if I want to share them around), I have to feed
> the picture machine *jpegs* anyway.
>
> So does it matter what format I start out with?

The print that you produce in the end will have even less color and
brightness info than the JPEG you started with.  Therefore, starting
with other than a JPEG only matters if you need to do color and
brightness editing.  If you start with a raw image then *you* and not
the camera get to control how those additional bits get mapped down to 8
bits.

Chuck Norcutt