[OM] Re: New Olympus

Subject: [OM] Re: New Olympus
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:12:58 -0400
I agree about f/2.0 zooms, but third parties have offered some darn
fine f/2.8 zooms in the ~$500 range, e.g., Tokina 28~70 ATX, Sigma
24~70 and 28~70, Tamron 35~105 and 28~75.  The Tokina and last Tamron
are especially well made.

IMO, the manufacturers are cashing in on the digiboom by offering the
rubes lenses with wowsa zoom ranges and small maximum apertures.  Most
of those buyers see only the first set of numbers and either ignore or
can't make sense of the f-stop range.  Of course faster zooms are
designated 'pro' and are much more expensive.  I'm very grateful for
the competition offered by the third parties.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1