[OM] Re: E-thing histogram and how to use the information

Subject: [OM] Re: E-thing histogram and how to use the information
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:58:09 +0200
>Hello all,
>
>Some days ago, as I recall (I hope I have this right) Bernard said that to fix
>exposures shown by the on-camera histogram to be too much to one side,
>take other shots with the EV adjusted.
>
>Is this the generally understood method to make use of the histogram
>information?

Well, thta's not what I said, but that's correct.

What I said is this: I noticed that, when using RAW and setting the
contrast on the E-1 to -2 instead of 0, the histogram is slightly
shifted to the left. My interpretation is that this is the histogram
of the in-camera JPEG conversion, to which the setting is applied. In
addition, when I open this RAW picture using Adobe Camera Raw (3.1),
the contrast setting is not applied, and the histogram looks rather
like the LCD histogram (on camera) when the contrast was set to -2.

Thus, when I shoot RAW, and since I use ACR, I now routinely set the
contrast to -2, so that the LCD histogram more closely resembles the
histogram that ACR will display.

Bernard