[OM] Using manual Zuikos on an E-1

Subject: [OM] Using manual Zuikos on an E-1
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:32:30 +1200
Hi all,

Can I just offer a note of consolation to those who wanted a manual adapter
for an E-thing, and didn't manage to get one.

In my limited experience, using manual lenses on the E-thing is no walk-
over. I find it quite difficult to reliably get acceptable images, despite what

others have written.

I notice that ZD lens images, when viewed on-screen, often seem to be not
so good, but when actually converted into actual paper prints come up a lot
sharper than expected and generally more satisfactory.  Especially when
they are not landscapes.

I find it very difficult to get good focus with Z lenses (typically infinity,
for
example, seems to me back quite a way from the infinity setting), and
images that seem sharp on screen, when printed without any post-
processing, are not sharp. Obtaining an image that is not over-exposed is
not easy. I still have to work on this.

On the basis of only a little experimentation with different Zuiko lenses, it
seems that wide-open often delivers best exposure evaluation from the
camera, but of course this is not necessarily the best for resolution or depth
of field.  On the spot evaluation of each image is made more difficult by the
different rendition of the image by the LCD viewing screen.

I will persist with experimenting, if for no other reason than that I like to
do
macro-photography, and spending NZ $1,000 on the ZD 50/2 is not likely to
happen in the near future. I have several manual lenses that will do macro.

Brian