[OM] Re: 6.1 megapix vs. 8.0 megapix

Subject: [OM] Re: 6.1 megapix vs. 8.0 megapix
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:07:10 -0400
Ali wrote:

> Why are some manufacturers still coming out with 6.1 megapix SLR's when
> other companies such as Olympus make 8.0 megapix bodies?

Noise!  Besides, 8m MP isn't much more resoulution than 6MP.  Remember
that the total number of pixels is an area measurement wheras resolution
is a linear measurement.  To double the resolution of a 6MP sensor would
require doubling the number of pixels horizontally and vertically or
four times the number of pixels.  Yes, it takes a 24MP sensor to double
the resolution of a 6MP sensor.  The resolution advantage of an 8MP
sensor over a 6MP sensor is about 12%.  But those pixels are smaller
and, all else being equal, noisier.

> I noticed the Zuiko to EOS (Can*n) adapter on CAMERAQUEST.COM. How well
> does this adapter work? Will it work on all EOS...including the Rebel XT?

Yes, all EOS bodies film or digital.  I posted info here a few months
ago about a high quality OM-EOS adapter from a seller in Hong Kong who
sells for about $120 postpaid.  I have one and it's nicely made.
Appears to be chrome plated brass vs. some of the aluminum stuff now
showing up on ebay.

Chuck Norcutt