[OM] [OT] PC / Soundcard Issues

Subject: [OM] [OT] PC / Soundcard Issues
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:24:49 +0100
Hi guys,

As ever, I'm after help on an OT subject.  There's always someone on
this list who knows the answer to any question posed.  I'm hoping the
same is true with this one ..

A few months ago I got a new PC - at least, I got the bits and built it.
The Motherboard has a built in SoundCard, but it isn't exactly very good
so I decided to try putting my old Soundblaster Live card in instead.
However, this is where the problems started.  Playback of audio was
fine, but recording leaves me with audio files full of clicks and pops
over the music.

I've gone quite a long way down the road to try and figure this out, and
have so far got nowhere..

I've got 2 hard drives in the machine, with the 2nd (non-boot) drive
acting as temp directory for the recording software.  This made no
difference.

I've tried various different recording software, different sampling
rates, etc., and different sources (via different inputs - SPDIF,
Analogue, etc).  None of these made any difference.

I've tried a PCI Latency Tool programme, to reduce the latency timing of
my CPU-PCI Bus and of my Gfx Card.  No difference.

Installed all latest drivers from Creative Soundblaster website.  No
effect.

Totally disabled the onboard soundcard - even at BIOS level.  No effect.

Read somewhere that the older Soundblaster Live cards like a specific
IRQ, not the one that Windoze XP decides to give it.  Seems it likes 5,
but XP has given it 19 !  Tried to force it in BIOS, but when windoze
loads up it puts it back to IRQ19.  Can't seem to disable the
"automatic" settings in Device Mangler - the box is greyed out.  This is
the last thing that I haven't successfully tried to see if it will solve
it.

So, anyone got any ideas how to force XP to give me a specific IRQ for
my Soundcard ?  Or any other thoughts on what else could be causing the
problems ?  For info, it isn't an issue of incompatability with XP as it
worked with XP on my old machine just fine.

Thanks guys, and to keep it vaguely On Topic, if I can get this sorted
then I can stop sitting in front of this darned PC and get out to take
some photos !!

Regards,

Jon

PS: If interested, thread can be followed with more details on Creatives
Forum here :

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblas
ter
<http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundbla
ster&message.id=29021#M29021> &message.id=29021#M29021