[OM] Re: FW: eBay Inc Online

Subject: [OM] Re: FW: eBay Inc Online
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:45:16 -0400
Fernando wrote:

 >What is this???
 >http://212.156.223.203:680/rock/isap/index.htm

Fernando,

You're the target of a phishing (fishing) e mail.  The purpose is to get
you to log in and provide your ID and password and, ultimately, your credit
card information to a criminal.  A lot of us in the States receive these
regularly from web sites purporting to be eBay, banks, etc. The web pages
you are taken to are very cleverly set up to appear to be the real
thing.  Keep in mind the warnings we receive from reputable
organizations:  they tell us they will never send us an e mail of this sort
asking us log in a re-confirm our credit card information.  Additionally,
nearly all e mails from a reputable organization that we have established
an account with will send an email addressed to your correct e mail address
and use your name in the body of the message.  When in doubt, do not
respond.  Rather, send an e mail to eBay, your bank, etc. via already
established links to ascertain the validity of the request you've received.

If you follow go to the fake link you received and key in a fake eBay ID
and fake password you're then taken to a page that asks for your credit
card information.

FYI, here's the link to the eBay sign in page for the U.S.  You can see the
difference, especially the beginning (https) which indicates a secure
site/page.

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&co_partnerId=2&pUserId=&siteid=0&pageType=&pa1=&i1=&bshowgif=&UsingSSL=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com&pp=&pa2=&errmsg=&runame=&ruparams=&ruproduct=&sid=&favoritenav=&migrateVisitor=

Hope this helps,

Gary