[OM] Re: hot shoe

Subject: [OM] Re: hot shoe
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:36:25 -0400
When using the A1 inside with modest size rooms I frequently use the Sunpak 522
handle mount flash connected to the PC socket and the Sunpak 422 in the hotshoe
courtesy of the FS-1100 adapter.  The swivel and bounce motions of the 522 are
used for bouncing around the room and providing general room background light.
The 422 illuminates the subject either straight on or with ceiling bounce.

Since the 522 keeps its sensor pointed straight ahead no matter where the flash
head is pointing it's possible to set both flash units on automatic and get a
good exposure even though there's no TTL communication with the camera.  One or
both flashes might need a little exposure adjustment but, with digital, this is
quickly and easily done and the adjustment made if necessary.

I use this same technique with the OM-2s's where I can put a T-32 in the BG-2
and another T-32 or OM compatible TTL flash (Vivitar 550FD or Sunpak 422) in
the
hot shoe.  Here the TTL is required since the T-32's sensor is pointed away
from
the subject if it is swiveled on the BG-2.

Chuck Norcutt