[OM] Re: scanning medium format

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning medium format
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:09:30 -0700
jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>slightly off olympus topic but I recently started going medium format and
>am looking for a slide scanner recommendation with IR channel
>I was looking at the nikon coolscan 9000ed but this side of the atlantic
>the very cheapest I have seen it new is in excess of 1500 pounds and from
>more reputable sources closer to 1700.
>
>The minolta offerings seem out because they use software interpolation on
>everything larger than 35mm to get to full resolution - this is hidden in
>the specs on their web site and I am not overly impressed with the minolta
>5400 mark 1

Take a look at the Can*n 9950F
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Canon_9950F/page_1.htm>.
There are some MF and 4x5 sample scans in the review. Vincent also
reviewed the Epson 4870 and 4990, which also do MF and 4x5. He gets very
good results with all of them. The prices are much more reasonable, too.

Moose