[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:39:30 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Gee, I wonder if it corrects for its own shaking of the camera. :-)
> Those are huge accelerations. Wonder how it affects battery life. It
> is shortened with VR in a lens, but I bet the energy to move a sensor
> is a lot more.
--------------------------------------

 From the dpreview of the 7D:

Battery life

The 7D uses the same NP-400 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery as the
DiMAGE A2, it has a healthy specified capacity of 1500 mAh at 7.4 V
(11.1 Wh) which appears to be more than sufficient to power the 7D for a
long day's shooting. One thing it may be worth considering is that the
7D uses its LCD monitor more than other digital SLR's (because most have
lower power control panel LCD's) and that the Anti-Shake system will use
a certain amount of power (although obviously only actually during the
shutter release itself). Konica Minolta specify a battery life of 400
frames (CIPA testing standard).

My A1 doesn't do this well.  I have the optional battery grip which
holds two NP-400 batteries and, when shooting an event, I get about 350
frames.  I leave the anti-shake system on all the time since, as above,
it is only actually active during shutter release.  I think the big
battery consumer is the display which I also leave powered on all the
time.  The 7D has a large display screen that would use more power than
the A1 but, since it's an SLR, the display screen needn't be used so much.

In my case, with the display on nearly all the time, it might be better
to specify battery life in hours rather than exposures.  I would guess
about 6 hours with camera and display turned on maybe 80% of the time.
I carry a spare pair of batteries but I've only ever had to use them
once or twice.

Chuck Norcutt