[OM] 18/3.5 performance [was OT: 5D Sample Images]

Subject: [OM] 18/3.5 performance [was OT: 5D Sample Images]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:48:31 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>>http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>>Has anyone looked at these? What's up with the corners on the
>>landscape shot?
>>
>You mean the fact that they are a bit darker than the centre ?
>
>Doesn't look any worse than what I see on my Zuiko 18/3.5, just a
>consequence of the geometry,

Right. See the first and fourth images, both taken with 18/3.5
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Vignetting/>. The fifth
image shows pretty much the same as #4, but taken with a 21/3.5, which
has almost no vignetting.

>LF photographers use centre filters to even up the exposure over the frame -
>doesn't seem to have caught on in "miniature" formats.

The modern equivalent is the vignetting tools in many editors. #2 was
treated with the Gradient tool in PS.

The other thing about that 5D sample landscape is that the far corners
are just plain fuzzy. If they were smart like me, they would only take
images where you can't tell if the corners are sharp or not.  :-)   The
closest things to a test of corner sharpness of the 18mm on this roll
are #3 and #6, the full pixel lower left corners of the two 18mm shots.
#7 is the lower right corner of the 21mm shot.

If anybody has a 5D, or even 1Ds and sends it along, I'll take some
shots with the Zuiko Superwides.

Moose