[OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:13:34 -0300
On 8/18/05, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, fortunately for me, no taxes are involved, because I live in
> Georgia and ordered the gear from New York.  Generally, because sales taxes
> in the U.S. are state taxes, they're collected only when the seller has a
> place of business in the same state as the point of delivery, whether
> delivery is hand-to-hand or shipped by UPS, Fed-X, et al.  That's one of the
> biggest incentives I have for buying from B&H, Adorama, and Calumet: none of
> them have a store in Georgia.  By not buying the E-1, 14-54 and LWMNBN in
> Atlanta, I saved something like $180 in sales taxes.  I consider that a good
> trade-off for $30 in shipping costs and a four-day wait.  :-)

As far as I know, it's different in Canada. I always pay federal and
provincial sales tax for my province regardless of where the item came
from. So even if I ordered an item from Alberta (which has no
provincial sales tax) I'd pay 15% tax instead of just the 7% federal
sales tax.

Gets a little interesting with international stuff because the customs
people are supposed to charge tax on it but sometimes you get lucky
and they don't or you get the item declared in such a way that their
not supposed to tax you on it ("used camera returned from warranty
service" is a nice one to use). On the downside, they also have the
right to assess the item at a different value than the declared value
and tax it accordingly. I once had an Olympus (see on topic!) macro
flash shoe ring arrive from the US and was taxed as if the item was
worth several hundred dollars even though I only paid around $50 and
that was the declared value. You can appeal the assessment but it's a
long and slow process. I had just received $600 worth of OM gear a
couple weeks before and not been taxed at all on that so I figured it
all balanced out and didn't pursue it.