[OM] Re: [OT} more E-1 silliness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT} more E-1 silliness
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:46:09 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:

>I hand held this one at 1/60.  Thought the pattern was kind of
>interesting.  Sharpened a bit and curves was used to accent the
>highlights a bit more.
>
>http://people.simons-rock.edu/rlovison/temp/E-1.second.html

I quite like this. I'm often trying to capture textures in nature. I
like the first one too. Shouldn't be surprised, since you've made nice
images with OMs.

>Another funny digital newbie moment... I took an indoor natural light
>shot of the living room with the patio door open with partly cloudy
>skies.  It looked as if there were only 3 stops of light before I took
>the image and after I viewed it I thought, "geez the dynamic range of
>this camera is rather limited."  I just about lost highlight detail
>and the shadows near the fireplace were pure black.  So I decided to
>double check the stops of light with the OM-4t spot and it indicated 6
>stops.  Oops, so much for my initial judgement call. :)  It certainly
>didn't look like 6 stops of light to my eye between the sun lit carpet
>near the door and the dark green/black stone at the fireplace.  .

Were you shooting JPEG? Remember, JPEG is only 8 bits, 256 values, of
brightness data per color. The camera can capture 12 bits, 4096 values.
I don't remember the math for stops, but it is in the archives, on
Luminous Landscape and other places.

The point is that the camera firmware and processor have to somehow
squeeze 4096 tonal vlaues into 256 slots. There are an infinite number
of possible combinations of dropping some part of the very brightest
and/or darkest values together with various compression schemes for the
rest. This is one of the big reasons for the differences noted in a
recent thread between different DSLRs when shooting JPEGs.

The solution is to shoot RAW. Depending on the camera model, somewhere
between 1.5 and 2, and maybe a bit more in some cases, additional stops
of latitude are available. Of course, they still have to be trimmed down
to 8 bit for the web and for printing, but you get to choose how it is
done. The printing limitation is due to the limits of reflective media.
If working in 16bit, it's best to send it to the printer driver that
way. The driver knows best how to do the conversion for the printer.

Moose