[OM] Re: 50/1.8 with Auto Extension Tube for Macro!

Subject: [OM] Re: 50/1.8 with Auto Extension Tube for Macro!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:34:30 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:

>http://users.skynet.be/aemit/photo/macro.html
>
>Note that the Kiron reaches 1:1 at  110mm (with hood extended)

Without any tubes at all. That's one reason I like it so much. The other
is that it is really sharp down in that territory.

>where the 135 on the 65-116 tube at 116 gets 1:1 at 270mm.

That is the normal 135.2.8, which may be ok in the center at that
extention, although I wouldn't use it seriously without testing, and
likely not so good at the edges.

The true macro 135/4.5 is a short mount lens designed to be used only
with the 65-116 or a bellows. Because of the short mount and short
helicoid, it only gets to 1:2 on the 65-116. This is quite intentional
on Oly's part. The macro lenses were designed for serious macro work and
each is optimized for a specific magnification range. For going from 1:2
to 2:1, they recommend the 80/4. The 135/4/5 is actually very good past
1:2, but it needs the bellows to get there.

Moose