[OM] Re: xD or CF?

Subject: [OM] Re: xD or CF?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:02:27 -0400
xD is proprietary Fuji/Oly technology and another attempt to charge a
premium price for something with no real benefit over the CF card.  In
fact, there's a negative benefit.  xD cards generally cost more and have
less capacity since there is no competition in that market as there is
in CF cards.

I think the best bang for the buck right now is SanDisk Ultra II CF
cards.  They are almost as fast as the fastest cards available but cost
substantially less.  Actual write performance may be limited by the
camera but, even if it is, you'll notice good performance in download
times if you use a fast USB 2.0 reader like the SanDisk "ImageMate" CF
reader.  See:
<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6133>
My 1GB SanDisk Ultra II card hits about 9 MB/sec when downloading.  My
256 MB Lexar 40x cards only do about 2 MB/sec.

Chuck Norcutt