[OM] SOLVED! (was Repairing sticky lens aperture?)

Subject: [OM] SOLVED! (was Repairing sticky lens aperture?)
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:59:56 +0100
Hi folks,
  Well, I've sorted it. Took apart the back section of the lens and had a
look at the aperture slats - hmm, not a speck of oil on them - just a
clean, uniformly black iris. Not only that, but when I manipulated the lever
with a small pair of tweezers, it felt completely smooth. So I did the next
logical thing - I pulled the mounting base apart.

  After I did that, the cause of the stickiness was immediately apparent. Two
pieces of oily yellow foam had wedged themselves inside the aperture return
spring. Needless to say, these quite sizable pieces of foam were reducing the
spring's effectiveness to the point where the aperture would not spring back
open properly on the smaller apertures (anything smaller than f8). Removing
the foam with a toothpick seems to have sorted the spring out - now the
aperture is working well enough to make the lens usable without the "lens
dance".

Thanks a lot to Chuck Norcutt for the repair tips - much appreciated.

Y'know, at some point I really should upload some of my photos.. I've got
100MB of space that really needs using up... Anyone know of a nice PHP or
CGI photo gallery script?

Thanks.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB