[OM] Re: Dixons

Subject: [OM] Re: Dixons
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:04:34 +0100
In message <42F8996E.3020908@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Savage <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wouldn't use them for any requirement, unless I happened to have a
> half-brick in my hand that simply had to be thrown through a window.

*laughs out loud*

> A few years back, when my flat was cleaned out by the neighbours, the
> insurance settlement for my hifi and AV kit consisted of a voucher only
> redeemable at Dixons.

Which insurance company? I'd like to know so I can do my best to avoid
them...

> Consequently my Arcam/Cyrus/Monitor Audio setup
> became a Denon midi-system (which I had to trawl every Dixons branch in
> Wilts/Hants to find) because Dixons long ago decided that people don't
> want proper audio separates.

Yes they do, it's just that the unwashed masses believe that a cheap
made-in-China midi system produces sound quality that's better than a
separates system.
Mine's not exactly top end, but still better than most. JVC tape deck, Rotel
amplifier, ancient Sansui 210 tuner, cheapo Genexxa CD player (that never
gets used). The speakers are two absolutely dire 10W things that I got years
ago...

> And I'm sure my old address is still being pestered by extended warranty
> offers.

That's the worst thing about Dick-sons. As you're walking over to the till -
"Do you want an extended warranty for that TV, Sir?"... Five seconds later,
same again. Ugh.

> A disaster of a company, best ignored by anyone who expects anything
> approaching service from a retailer.

I know someone who made the mistake of buying a mobile phone from a Dixons
Group company (The Link IIRC). Plugs it in to charge, the charger catches
fire. Goes back, "Sorry Sir, we'll have to send it off for repair, we're not
allowed to give you a new power supply". He agrees (stupid prat!) and gets
his phone back a month later. With a shattered display panel.
It took FOUR MONTHS for them to more-or-less sort the thing out - now he's
got a phone that takes ten attempts (or more) to send a text message, drops
calls randomly and occasionally crashes for no reason. I think he's given up
trying to get it sorted out...

I guess most of their profit comes from treating customers like crap. Save
money on customer "service", just make sure the sales guys are nice and
cheerful. When the money has changed hands, disown disown disown.

Later.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB