[OM] Re: Camera shops

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera shops
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:41:10 +0100
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:00:16 -0700, "R. Jackson"
<jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I went to my favorite local camera shop yesterday and it's a bank
>now. That place has been there since the 50's. I bought my 90/2 and
>my 180/2.8 there. I've been going to a different store over the past
>year or so because it's more convenient for me and I had no idea this
>place was going under. The mom and pop camera store just can't
>survive anymore, I guess.

Much the same here in UK I'm afraid. Most of the surviving
"independents" have been assimilated by Jessops (a nationwide chain)
and even some of those that are still independent (my son works for
one in Wrexham, North Wales) rely heavily on Jessops for supplies.

However for those in UK able to get there, I can thoroughly recommend
Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay. Tremendous range of new and used
gear and helpful and very knowledgeable staff, selling a lot to the
professional market. I hope they survive.

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)