[OM] Re: Camera shops

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera shops
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:22:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2005 2:05:46 PM Central Standard Time,
scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Kind of  a sad reality.  I suspect something similar happened as
automobiles  eclipsed the horse and buggy.  Blacksmiths and carriage
makers watched  helplessly as their livelihoods faded away.

Owning a camera store has to be difficult in today's times.  With  every new
release comes the potential for obsolete inventory. If your core  business is
Nikon, Canon, and Minolta SLR's, you've got full frame lenses  and reduced
frame lenses to stock. There are digital cameras with  highly recognizable
brand
names sold through volume retailers  who never really competed in the film
camera business who are now  major players in digital(Sony, Samsung,
Panasonic,etc..). I think the greatest  threat to Olympus and other established
camera
manufacturers is from somebody  like Samsung who musters up the courage to
build
a small, economical, Digital  SLR, with a small selection of lenses. If the
tiny sensors now used in the  digital point and shoots get sufficiently good,
it
could happen.

Gary Faulkenberry