[OM] Re: Discounted E-1s in my city ( OT )

Subject: [OM] Re: Discounted E-1s in my city ( OT )
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:18:59 +1200
Richard Lovison wrote

> Hi Brian,
>
> I wrote to Wellington Photographic Supplies when Michael first brought
> this up on the forum.  In their reply they indicated a possible bank
> charge of between $125-$175 NZD for an international bank draft (they
> wouldn't accept payment from an international credit card) and a
> shipping cost of $275 NZD to ship to the States via DHL.
> Looks like the shipping costs and the cost of the bank draft offset
> any savings  for U.S. buyers.
>
> Richard

This is outrageous. Clearly they don't want to trade off-shore.

I'd be surprised if NZ banks charge more than about $NZ 25 for an
international bank draft. My bank charges NOTHING to process an overseas
personal check.

I have no idea why it would cost so much via DHL, but i do know why I
wouldn't use them for international transport; they and UPS, FEDEX, (and
other courier companies) run a scam that works like this: (for private imports
into New Zealand, there is NO customs duty or GST charged for items
valued at less than $400 NZ. Often (usually) the NZ Post don't convert the
green label insured cost from USA to NZD, so items with a listed value of
USD399 will get in duty free).

When the item enters the country the courier company enters the item into
their computer system as if it is dutiable. This action incurs a significant
fee
to be met by the importer. The item is run past Customs, and from what I've
been told they will then actually issue a charge even though one is not
required. That fee added to the new total. There may be other fees made up
too; I don't remember now. If you don't pay you don't get the item. They sell
it.

The sender probably thought that the charges they paid were an end to the
matter.

If NZ Post (air post / surface post) / Customs hold an item up for duty, they
inform the intended recipient by mail, accept a check, and the item is on its
way with no further charges.

DHL are the international courier agent used by NZPost, and Australians
have (rightly) complained about the extra costs imposed as outlined above in
relation to goods couriered across the Tasman. Don't get suckered in to
using the extra-fast service to Australia!!

I also have NO idea why they would not accept an international credit card.
They must be living in another world. New Zealand is a high-use tourist
destination, and many/most of the international tourists will use credit cards
from their own country.

I will make local enquiries.

Brian