[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:34:03 -0700
Personally I really wish the E-1 were smaller. I've never seen a camera that
was too small.

However my E-System bag is smaller and lighter than my OM bag. The E-System
goes 7-200 (14-400). The OM bag contains 16-180 (at the moment). However the
OMs do have faster lenses and perspective correction before the image is
taken. The D.Zuiko zooms though big, lead to a smaller more efficient
system.

The E-1 actually feels better than an OM. After dumping mine on the asphalt
I would say it is probably as robust as an OM. I doubt a Zuiko 35-80/2.8
would have survived nor would repair have been possible. The $200 cost to
repair my 14-54 D.Zuiko probably wasn't higher than the cost to
repair/replace the fast OM glass. I suppose a 24/2, 28/2 or 35/2 might not
have contacted the asphalt. The $300 E-1 repair cost seems to have included
new magnesium body pieces - it looks new. A like-new OM-2N can cost that
much.

The E-300 doesn't feel as good as the E-1 but it's ease of use is very
comparable.

I think the 24 shift that lives on the front of my OM attracts as much
attention as most of the E-System. For just-in-case photography in an urban
environment I'm probably more likely to take the E-System. I'm cautious but
I'm not going to leave cameras home out of fear unless I know they would
have to be left unattended.

You will probably take more digital images. But bits can be dumped into a
bit bucket at almost no cost. You really can try new things. Your
photography quality will probably improve.

I haven't used the E-300 enough to compare the resolution to the E-1. I wish
the E-1 had more. The E-1 can take great pictures and for many things it has
enough resolution. I mount my camera on a tripod and can get slightly better
results with film. It won't be too long before film is the weaker choice.
That doesn't mean I'll sell the OM's or quit using them.

-jeff

Snips galore ...