[OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash

Subject: [OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:22:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> It's somewhat larger and heavier than the Quantum Turbo but that's
> because, instead of Quantum's proprietary battery, the SP Systems pack
> has a standard, user changeable Panasonic VHS camcorder style 2.3 amp
> hour lead acid battery whereas the Quantum has a 1.7 amp hours lead acid
> battery.

The Turbo uses a standard A208 dryfit lead acid battery.  I bought a bunch
last year from Sonnenschein and they were rated at 2.5Ah.  Sonnenschein
always rates conservatively so I would expect to get slightly better
performance than the specs (it's a MIL-spec battery as well).

> Are there upsides?  Performance and price.  Did I mention price?  A
> friend just recently sent one of his two turbos back to Quantum to have
> the battery replaced.  For the repair charge I could have bought a new
> SP Systems pack.  Hard to beat $123.95 when the turbo goes for $389.

If I remember correctly the Sonnenschein batteries only cost about $25.
They drop right into the Turbo, it's about as difficult as changing the
batteries in your TV's remote.
                                        -mark