[OM] Does the E-1 resolve better than an OM?

Subject: [OM] Does the E-1 resolve better than an OM?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:24:58 -0700 (PDT)
I'm revisiting this discussion and making it unique to the
Olympus line.  Does the E-1 resolve images better than an OM?
And, just how good is the 14-54 lens?  I can't scientifically
answer that question yet, but I've got an example.

Last Monday I took a series of pictures inside a barn. These
images were all taken with the E-1, 14-54 lens and a tripod. I
used "best-practices" in achieving the sharpest possible
pictures, including the shutter delay feature. I shot RAW and
converted the images with no sharpening and minimal processing
involved in the converter and saved as a 48-bit tiff. All
post-production was done in 48-bit mode in PWP.  I made a
cropped 11x14 (full size, no border) of the picture which
uncropped would have been slightly larger than 13x19 in size.

Folks, the results are stunning. The details are beyond ANYTHING
I've ever been able to achieve with an OM (except possibly a
handful of pictures on K25, Delta 100 and PanF+). I didn't
expand the file, either.  Just let the Canon printer driver
handle the scaling.  (yes there are a few stair-step artifacts
visible in only one tiny spot and with a magnifying glass--but I
had the smoothing function turned off).

This is, by far, among the very sharpest color pictures I've
ever taken and is yielding image characteristics I've only seen
with 4x5.  Heresy?  Maybe a little.  Would 8mp give me a better
enlargement?  Would the human eye discern the difference?  I'm
in shock.  I thought I got good stuff before, but this is in a
whole different realm.

Proof again, that 5MP is capable of much, much more than what
our technique typically allows.  I can't wait to "properly"
resize it so I can feed the printer a correctly sized image.

Sure, I want 12MP in my next camera, but in the meantime I now
truely know what this camera is capable of. I love Fujichrome
Velvia, but the lateral halation in the emulsion causes more
loss of resolution that anything the E-1's 5MP sensor could have
caused.

My wife says "is that clay and those things cobwebs?"  This
subject in the picture is represented as lifesize on the print
and there is bits of clay other other dust which is represented
in near reality. In fact, it looks like there is clay particles
and cobwebs ON the print.

This is also a major testiment to the high image quality of the
14-54 lens.  For this picture, I had it cranked down to F11, or
so, and focused about two meters distance.

Now, if I can just get the E-1 to mimick Velvia color and depth
just a little better...

Yah, it's a keeper.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs