[OM] Re: Colour values of monitors (again)

Subject: [OM] Re: Colour values of monitors (again)
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Brian Swale wrote:

> Something I am finding the E-1 very useful for is to take photos for local
> ginger groups; I can take the shots, (SHQ jpeg, about 3.3 MB) upload them
> to my laptop (also not exactly new), burn them there to a CD, and if needed
> massage them there with "The Gimp".
>
> The LCD? display on the E-1 shows the latest set to have very good colour
> and realistic exposure value. Copied to the IBM Think-pad, given the
> limitations of that screen, they are fairly similar.
>
> Tonight, when I read these images from the CD, on my desk-top machine,
> there is a significant greenish cast, and all are MUCH darker.  This monitor
> has been good. Now, I wonder if it is on the way out.

Unless you have a very good modern LCD display, do not use it for colour
accurate editing.  Older LCD displays (and the E-1's LCD) are ok for checking
composition and sharpness, but never trust them for colour balance, they have
far too much contrast and brightness.  Best results are still obtained with
a good high-end CRT which has been colour balanced.  Invest in a Eye One
colorimeter, you won't regret it.
                                                        -mark