[OM] Re: Anyone Using the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone Using the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:49:05 -0700
I have the Acratech ballhead. I've been very happy with it. I use a Tamron
400/4 + 1.4x teleconverter frequently (and some other long telephotos). The
Acratech does a good job keeping the lens steady. It is relatively easy to
adjust the tension so that the camera won't drift but it can still be
repositioned. The design makes it relatively immune to dirt. I have read
complaints that the head position can shift slightly as it is tightened
down. I haven't seen any problem.

I did find that with a Mamiya 7 II mounted on the head and the head flipped
over for vertical format, that the center of gravity was far enough off to
the side, that the tripod wasn't as stable as I would like. A heavier tripod
(I use a CF tripod) or hanging a weight from the tripod would be one way to
solve that problem. I've never seen that problem with the OMs because of
their lower height.

I had three different Bogen heads but was too frustrated with them when
using the long telephotos. All of the heads (3030, 3437, 308RC) used the
small rectangular 3157N quick release plate. I've since come to wonder if
the problem I had with those was due to the rubber pad on the quick release
plate. I could never get any of these heads to be stable enough but I don't
believe the 3030 was flexing. I think the quick release plate was the
greatest source of movement.

At this point I would consider getting the Acratech head without the quick
release clamp and fitting the Really Right Stuff lever release quick release
clamp to the Acratech head. The little extra convenience in use would
probably justify the extra effort to get all the right pieces. I'm not sure
if the shift lenses would clear the larger Really Right Stuff clamp though.

Both Really Right Stuff and Kirk make quick release plates for OMs. I have
both and have no preference between them. I haven't seen the Acratech
version. Really Right Stuff also makes a nice quick release plate for the
E-1. The Acratech can easily handle the E-1.

I don't know how important a gear drive is to you for your focusing rail. A
long quick release plate can give you quite a bit of focusing range with
little extra weight. If you haven't already, visit
www.reallyrightstuff.com

-jeff

I actually have two slightly different versions of the Acratech head. I
found out that Acratech makes an almost identical head without the 45 degree
angle. I also use a Horseman View camera so I got that head for these bigger
cameras but still probably use the original ballhead with the Mamiya more
than the other one.