[OM] Re: Permanence or otherwise of burned CDs

Subject: [OM] Re: Permanence or otherwise of burned CDs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:29:09 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Some of you may know that I sell data CDs all around the world. Now you all
>know.
>
>It is a complicated list of all the fern species (plants) that exist.
>
>I have just had a letter from a client to whom I sold a CD about ? two years
>ago, and 2 of the 380 genus files are suddenly unreadable.
>
>A while ago I investigated getting CDs pressed in aluminium like the
>commercial ones are. Costs a fair bit more - or did then. $500NZ for 50 CDs.

To quote myself: "There are definite differences between CDs. These
folks make the best, with gold reflective layers and the proprietary
Mitsui dye layer material which is the best available
<http://store.mam-a-store.com/standard---archive-gold.html>."

"Accelerated aging tests show that MAM Gold can be used as a reliable
storage media for more than 300 years.". Even if they are off by a
factor of 4*, what are chances of any complaints concerning you after 75
years? WAY cheaper than having them pressed.

Moose

* And even though they seem to think, like so many others that "media"
is singular.