[OM] Re: Pentax profits fall by 42%

Subject: [OM] Re: Pentax profits fall by 42%
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:54:45 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>Hey, it works for Canon and Sony. The key seems to be to introduce a
>new model as soon as the "hot" cachet cools on the previous model.
>Dump the current model as soon as sales drop.

Oly is not immune either. A little bit ago, John warned "C-8080 an
C-7000 Olympus digitals are sold old and discontinued. Better grab 'em
if you can find 'em."

At the time, I wondered whether Oly simply ran off one production run of
each these cameras and moved the production line on to the next thing.
The 8080 was announced 2/04 and the 7000 9/04.

With product life cycles so short, it would make sense to just guess
about how many will likely sell, make just that number and move on.

Moose