[OM] Re: MOving picture cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: MOving picture cameras
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:42:01 +0000
Totally useless to stand in front of a spot where something happened 10 hours
ago and blab away like this is real news.  If you didn't get it when it
happened, just let the talking heads read the script.  Shots of crime scene
tape are so boring!

And zooming and panning, too!  I recall my first day on the job, Corky Hoover,
the news director, told me in no uncertain terms to never forget that a movie
camera is designed to record motion, not to create it, and if I panned, I'd
better be following something moving or have a reason good enough for him not
to kick my butt.  There was no danger any of us would be zooming.  Those lenses
were reserved for special occasions.  Other things that could get you in
trouble besides no establishing shots were jump cuts and no cutaways for fixing
the jump cuts you shouldn't have shot to begin with.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --