[OM] Discounted E-1s?

Subject: [OM] Discounted E-1s?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:52:25 +1200
Hello Michael & all

> Hi, Chaps and Chapesses,
>
> (I _have_ detected a dearth of the better halves on this list -- why is that?)

Yes, it seems that even Doro has deserted us. Probably had enough of
SUVs, guns, reduced OM stuff, & I wot not.

> Store here in Wellington is selling E-1s with the standard 14 to
> whatever lens for $999 NZ  -- about a third or less of the retail
> price. And less than the US$ equivalent lowest price from B&H.
>
> This is a reputable pro store, so it's not a shonky deal or parallel
> importing that will leave the user dead in the water.
>
> But why and how are they doing this? They say they "ran into a number
> of the cameras on a good deal".

Where have you been for the last 10 weeks??   OM Australia (controls OM
NZ) has facilitated OM NZ to let OM dealers participate in this deal, since ?
early May 2005.  So is this Wellington Photographic Supplies?

> Possible translation: Olympus is about to bring out another pro model
> (not the useless 300-type) and is dumping the E-1s worldwide?
>
> Or the bottom is dropping out of world-wide demand for the cameras
> (Olympus pro marketing always did suck)?

Probably associated with the poor financial performance of Oly this financial
year - reported in the last 2 weeks.

> Or ???
>
> Nobody here has apparently heard of the OM-style adapters that I
> understand Olympus USA is _giving_ away with the purchase of an E-1
> there.

They are probably playing dumb. Perrys' (NZ agents) certainly know as do
the OZ main importers / agents, who are playing stupid..

Here is what they replied to a couple of letters asking when they would be
supplying the adapters.

> From:                 "Imaging Help" <help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To:                   bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:              Re: Manual adapter for E-1 and E-300 (Evolt) ( + 3
> files)
> Date sent:            Fri, 27 May 2005 10:40:36 +1000
>
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for contacting Olympus Imaging Australia consumer products
> group.
> Many Thanks for your feedback on Olympus products. Your feedback has been
> passed to all relevant departments.
>
> Some old film based lenses may be able to attach to Olympus professional
> digital SLR cameras through the use of a lens adapter mount. However such
> products are not compatible with the digital camera body in that they will not
> conform to or achieve the quality expected by the E-System in many
> photographic
> situations. Indeed there may be a number of technical problems associated with
> using such an adapter. As such, Olympus Australia has no plans to introduce
> and
> supply such a mount adapter. If such a product is purchased and used with the
> series then Olympus Australia may review its position regarding warranty on
> the
> camera used. In addition a number of other technical reasons exist that might
> hamper the camera's performance using such an adapter
>
> -AF not available
> -Only pre-set aperture metering may be available
> -Only A mode (Aperture priority mode) is available, but AE is not
> accurate. No f indication on the body.
> -Distance indicator on the lens may not be accurate
>
> If you have any further inquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Laila Balloot
> Customer Service Representative
> Consumer Products Group