[OM] Re: The Gimp

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:42:22 +1200
David wrote
> From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Don't give up! you'll get there.  The GIMP is a powerful program and it
> is _FREE_. The alternative (PhotoshopCS)  retails for over AUD$1199
> (full version, $600ish for the ACAD versions) here in Adelaide.
> Photoshop is generally better, one large difference is that PS has
> faster algorithms for processing. One has to balance the cost/benefit
> ratio...
>
> Documentation... A good instruction manual that explains it is 'Grokking
> the Gimp' by Carey Bunks. You can  download the HTML as a tarball (&
> unpack it to your HDD), or use it online for nix. You can also buy a paper
> copy if you wish. see:   http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html
>
> I don't know if I can give you any assistance, as I'm no expert. I use
> it under Xwindows on FreeBSD & it may be different, though I'd be happy
> to try. e.g. on the version I use:
> - to resize: rclk on canvas, clk Image->Scale Image... set resolution
> (pixels per in/mm) if you want to change it, & adjust ratio to resize to
> a target of pixels or size.
> - to select all, rclk on canvas, clk Select->all  (ctrl-A is the
> shortcut)
>
> how are things on your side of the Tasman?
>
> regards,
> davidt

David, many thanks for the link.  I downloaded the e-book (all 26.8 MB of it -
took 90 minutes), and will expand it and burn the expanded files onto a
CDROM.

Things across the Tasman?  Well, glorious winter weather since the ABs
beat the Lions.  The low point of winter is yet to come and every great day is
to be enjoyed as much as possible. Parliamentary elections in about 2 - 3
months and things are turning to custard in that general department.

By the way, this will sound like heresy to some, but since Debian Linux
destroyed a very good monitor after I set it up to run a windows-look-alike
screen; and I tried to learn more about Linux and struck the jargon such as
"foo" and "foo-bar" which made  no sense to me, I flagged the whole lot away.

I also tried to escape the Microsoft system, but many months of trying Linux
was a total failure and I just can't be bothered trying again. Takes too long
now