[OM] Re: Kings Sutton

Subject: [OM] Re: Kings Sutton
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:53:05 +0100
Brian Swale wrote:

> In this shot
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05195.htm
> it looks as though the farmer has herbicide-sprayed two public
> paths in order to keep them open and easy to use.
>
> Is this the case as far as you can tell?

Yes. This seems to be fairly common practice now. I think there are two
reasons:

1. It's more cost-effective to over-sow footpaths and then weedkill the
footpath routes. (Farmers are obliged to make footpaths passable if they
over-sow, but not if it's natural vegetation spreading (when it becomes
the council's responsibility)).
2. Well-defined paths discourage people from walking all over the crops
(the carrot approach, rather than the stick -- quite rare in this
country).

> There is a vigorous debate going on in New Zealand right now about
government
> plans to open up pubic rights to give access to some waterways.
>
> Can you tell me what are the rules and restrictions on the behaviour
etc of
> the public who use these paths?

There are several classifications of paths/routes:

1. Footpath. Dogs allowed, but must be "under proper control". No
horses, bicycles, or mechanically-propelled vehicles.
2. Bridleways. As above, except horses and bicycles allowed.
3. Byways. (Full name: Byways Open To All Traffic (BOAT)) All vehicles
permitted unless prohibited by by-law. All normal rules of the road
apply.
4. Road Used As A Public Path (RUPP). Not sure of legal significance,
but basically very similar to a byway.

It's illegal to drive a motor vehicle along anything other than a normal
road, byway, or RUPP. Bad luck if you live down a bridleway!

The government is in the process or, or has just allowed, the "opening
up" of the countryside, so basically you can (or soon will be able to)
walk anywhere that isn't private enclosed property, and so long as it
doesn't damage crops, etc. It's already happened in Scotland. I'm not a
rambler, so I'm not sure what the full significance will be and what
rules/regulations will apply. All seems a bit pointless to me as we have
masses of footpaths already: it's be more helpful just to put the effort
into making the ones we actually have passable (which they often aren't
in the summer unless you like brambles and stinging nettles).

Regards,

Simon