[OM] Re: Help! Can't open OM2 door; broke a part

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Can't open OM2 door; broke a part
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:04:50 -0400
Moose wrote:

 >Calm down, it'll be OK.

Took a deep breath, chanted OMmmmmmmmmmm and proceeded with suggested fixes.

 >Never had the problem, but I know how to get the back open without
 >damage to anything. Remove the two small, hard to see, cross point
 >screws underneath the rewind crank. With the crank handle flipped
 >open, align the opening it fits into into over each screw. This
 >releases that side of the top plate. Gently, pull up the end of the
 >top plate until it shows a narrow opening into the space under it.
 >The release is straight up from the front half of the end of the body.
 >A small screwdriver or some such pushed fairly straight up will
 >operate the release. It's a pretty big, horizontal plate and easy to
 >reach, takes almost no force. I just did this on a body, to test my
 >recollection, in about 2 minutes, if that.

Didn't get release results so I decided to try second suggestion.

Mark Dapoz wrote:

 >Ooops, shouldn't have done that :-)  No real harm done, the screw is only
 >there to level off the lever when it's in the closed position.  It likely
 >sits very low in the well now without the screw head.  There are actually a
 >series of screw heads which can be substituted to provide different amounts
 >of "lift" to the lever.

Yep, the lever does indeed sit a little low compared to those on my other
bodies.  Looks like a little cosmetic epoxying is in order.

 >Simplest way, lift the leatherette around the latch mechanism and unscrew
 >the two screws holding down the latch cover plate.  Remove the plate and
 >push up on the latch mechanism.  Be careful not to lose any of the small
 >parts.  See the parts diagram on my web site if you need diagrams of how
 >it all fits together.  http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware

Upon removing the latch cover plate I immediately realized what the problem
was and just as quickly realized that I was the cause.  A few weeks ago I
used contact cement to re-attach the leather that was coming
up.  Apparently I used a bit too much glue.  I could see where it seeped to
the side and underside of the latch mechanism and "locked" it in
placed.  No wonder Moose's solution didn't work.  After 30 minutes of
tediously pulling out pieces of the contact cement the latch was freed, the
door opened, the film canister tumbled out and a feeling of stupidity,
immediately followed by relief, came over me.

OM2, Zuiko 28/2.8 with hood, Vivitar 28/2.8 & assorted accessories, $15
Net cost of OM2 & Zuiko 28/2.8 after selling Vivitar 28/2.8 for $45, -$30
Having friends on the list to help one out of a jam, Priceless

Thanks guys! :)

Gary