[OM] Re: At last, an almost on topic subject

Subject: [OM] Re: At last, an almost on topic subject
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:43:11 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>This was discussed sometime during the past year or so but since the
>archives are down I'll reopen the question.
>
>Anyone have suggestions for a lighweight, collapsible hiking (trekking?)
>pole that can also serve as a monopod?  It should fold up small enough
>to be put in or along side a backpack and cost less than $5,000.  It
>does not have to be made of carbon fiber or titanium or unobtanium.

I use a Loki hicking stick. The knob on top unscrews, removing the
compass and revealing a 14-20 tripod thread, Lots of hiking sticks these
days seem to come in pairs with angled grips like ski poles, (I see
there are walking, hiking and treking sticks, so my terminology may be
off.) but the other sort are still around. My SO just bought one of
their own brand from REI that works like my Loki. It may have been this
one
<http://www.rei.com/product/47670657.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPINGundefined>
or this one
<http://www.rei.com/product/47670657.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPINGundefined>,
and there are others
<http://www.rei.com/product/47873491.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPINGundefined>.

I also have a Velbon UP-5 monopod, which gets both longer and shorter
than the walking stick, and is very fast to open/close with sections
that lock and unlock simply by turning them. It may be a better true
monopod, but is heavier and clumsier as a hicking stick and the end
isn't suited for anything buy soft trails.

I use the Bogen/Manfrotto monopod head, #3232
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5498&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>.

With a monopod, you don't need azimuth adjustment in the head, but
altitude is quite useful. It's a perfect solution, light, but sturdy,
with a nice thumbscrew for easy on/off.

Another solution for me is the Velbon 343e lightweight tripod. I've been
known to use it as hiking stick, too. The greater awkwardness is offset
by the much superior support.

Moose