[OM] Re: Speeding fines, as far OT as possible

Subject: [OM] Re: Speeding fines, as far OT as possible
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:26:26 -0700 (PDT)
Mike B. wrote:
> On the subject of Formula 1 budgets.  Toyota and Ferrari are
> "rumored" to spend $400 million a year to field two cars.  Top
> CART teams $10 to 15 Mil a year.  Jack Roush likely spend $15
> mil on his five car team to do 30 or more races a year.

A little more than $15M for five teams, but much of that is
through economies of scale. If they weren't manufacturing
engines and chassis for other teams, they'd be in that $15M per
team category too.

> A Formula 1 car no longer has very much in the way of
> adjustments by the time it gets to the track.  The Top Teams
> do extensive testing to get very close to the right setup for
> a given track and then bring a range of parts that will allow
> fine tuning for the conditions.

This is very fascinating. It also explains the constant stream
of airplanes going to/from the factory during practice sessions
carrying some miscellaneous parts.

> The technology in a five year old F1 car is mind boggling

Not only in aero, but in electronics.  Traction conrol, engine
electronics, GPS course mapping tied into both...  At least they
did away with launch control and ABS. <wink, wink>

> For those of you that bothered to read this far I thank you.
> I will try to refrain from a similar outburst for another five
> years, but don't bet on it if the topic comes up again.

I will humbly go back into my corner.

AG

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com