[OM] Re: Canon 9950F question

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon 9950F question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:13:33 -0700
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>Well since this scanner's been recommended to me (especially for the
>bulk scanning options) I thought I'd poll the list to see if anyone
>has any experience using it. In particular, my decision has been made
>more complicated by the fact that I can pick up a used Canon FS4000US
>locally for a pretty decent price.
>
>So I'm wondering how well the 9950 compares against a dedicated film
>scanner (such as the FS4000US)?

Well, by the time I get a 9950F and compare it to the FS4000US, it will
be too late to help you. :-)

>I've seen some comparison with the Nikon 4000 and it looked less accurate in
>the colour and also softer.

If you are talking about the photo-i reviews, I agree about the
sharpness difference, although I think it will take about a 20x30 print
to see it. As to color, how can one possibly tell? Everything in the
review has been scanned on some sort of scanner using some sort of
software, so what does one compare with what to decide which is more
accurate for a scene one has never seen?

I really think the scanner has much less to so with the color balance of
the output than does the software. When I got an FS2710, I didn't like
the Canon software, either for functionality or for color results. I've
been using VueScan for years. What I have found is that icc film
profiles make a HUGE difference. I know one can't make them for lots of
old films, but I'm making them for current films as I use them. They
still are useful for older, but similar version of current films. Here's
some shots as scanned with and without an icc profile
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/VuesProf/>.

>The other question is regarding the strip film holders. I've read that
>they're pretty well engineered and do a good job of keeping the film
>flat but they're designed for strips of 6. How well do they handle
>shorter strips? Almost all of my neg film is in strips of 4 or 5 so
>I'd be interested in hearing if the holder still works well with
>shorter strips or if it mainly only works with strips of 6 frames.

No idea. I can say that the strip holder for the FS2710 works fine with
short strips and the strip holder on the later FS4000 is much heftier
and even better. One might suppose that the same  folks designed the
film holders for the 9950F?

So why don't you just buy one, do all the testing and pass the results
on to us? :-)

Moose