[OM] Zuiko macro lenses on DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Zuiko macro lenses on DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:30:32 -0700
In a thread about macro lenses and the E-1 a while ago, I said that the
effective reproduction ratio changed with the small sensor.

My basic point was that if printed/viewed at the same final size, OM
mount macros, in effect, "focus closer" than on 35mm film.

I just did a test with 50/3.5 macro and 300D. At closest focus, 44mm of
subject was captured on the sensor width of 22.7mm, giving a repro ratio
of 1:1.94, a tiny bit better than spec.

However, if the 300D image and a 35mm image with the same lens setup are
both enlarged to 6" wide, the 300D image is at a higher magnification
and shows 44mm of ruler across 6", while the film print shows 69.8mm of
ruler.

The effect is that the 50/3.5 acts, on the 300D, like a film 80/3.5 that
focuses to 1:1.2. On the E-1, it would act like a film 100/3.5 that
focuses to an effective 1:1.

Moose