[OM] various musings...

Subject: [OM] various musings...
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:02:48 -0500
I have recovered from the jet lag from my vacation, and also from the eight
thousand posts to this list, so here are some thoughts...

I took the 2SP that I bought last fall and had CLA-ed, along with a half
dozen battieries. After about 25 rolls, with the already used batteries left
in the camera all the time, I'm still on the old used ones I originally
installed. I expected to do some replacements, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

The programming tends to keep a small aperture too long, and the shutter
speeds get too low. I've taken to setting the lens to something less than
f22, usually 11 or so. Problem solved.

Those rolls of 400UC I got at Target for about 2.50 a roll were well worth
it, if, of course, you like lots of color. In Italy, that works.

Someone posted comments about how displeased they were with the construction
of the newest Rebel. I disagree. Digitals have become almost disposables, as
they are made obsolete so soon. This is just what we want, so we will not be
disinclined to sell our two year old cameras and upgrade.

Living where I do, we don't see the E1, but I did pick up an E300 in an
electronics store. That's a big honkin' camera! Whatever it is, it feels a
lot heavier than an OM4, and bigger. It certainly doesn't fit in the hand as
well. If the E1 is bigger and heavier, that's not good. And the lens... Why
so big? I've got Hasselblad lenses that aren't that much bigger, and
obviously cover more area.

On the other hand, I didn't find the VF a deal breaker. Not ideal, but
useable.

Finally, we didn't stay in Orvietto, but on our day long visit, we saw the
ultimate hotel for the Zuikoholic! Just steps from the duomo is the MAITANI
hotel. Little did I know our faithful leader's family had an Itlaian wing,
but from the design of the OM, it should have been obvious.

Bill Pearce