[OM] [OT] Block Island

Subject: [OM] [OT] Block Island
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
Not everything went as planned, but still, I declare that my tenth year wedding
anniverary was exceptional.
If you can, I would suggest you visit Block Island during spring, right before
the tourists come.  You can rent a bycicle or a scooter and explore.  The
photographic opportunities are unlimited, I mean it.  You can rarely find so
much natural beauty in one spot.
I recommended the spring, because everything is blooming and there is a lot to
bloom between the grass in the dunes.  You will encounter miles of unspoiled
beauty (that's pass the port where the bars and the shops are...if you can
escape them...:)
For those like me, "obsessed with lighthouses", as wife sez, there are several
excellent opportunities, actually I had the chance to take my best picture
ever...more on that later.
But according to my son...:) the biggest attraction is free and you need to do
some walking to reach it.  It is the beach shack that the locals built and
maintain with stuff that gets washed on the beach.  We actually spent some time
fixing it and playing in it.  He fixed the roof and I carried some flat stones
for the front deck...back to my point, it is in an area with dramatic erosion
of the coast, another great picture opportunity.
I can go on and on, but the purpose of this email is to inform you about very
little known location when it comes to photography.  I am going to visit again,
this time carrying the OM's.  I saw opportunities for great B&W during winter
and color during the spring.  YMMV
Now the on topic part.  It was sad that I did not bring the OM's with me.  We
couldn't find place to sleep and made it just as a day trip.  Work has been
demanding lately and I decided that photography would spoil the time spent with
the peops I love most.  Did not regret my decision, it was special to see that
the three of us are moved by the same thing at the same time...
Remember, Block Island.  Excellent photo destination.  Not well known.  Visit
if you can.
Boris
P.S.  J. Hudson, thanks for the suggestion, but the Grigorov's like to sleep
during the weekends (so me getting up early was going to be kinda sacrifice in
the name of photography...:) and on the top of it, wife does not like being in
front of a camera...I entertained the thought, but decided that it is not
possible...
P.P.S.  Oh, and one last thing...in some off-list chatter, I agreed that
seagulls are a boring subject, but you would have a nice surprise if you bring
a bag of saltine crackers to the ferry...amazing acrobatics...amazing
performances, do not even slightly resemble the annoying thiefs at the
beach...:)

Discover Yahoo!