[OM] Re: Apertures, where is f22 ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Apertures, where is f22 ?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:45:18 -0700
I read somewhere that if one designed a very good lens with no
aberrations it would be most sharp when wide open and that a
softening would be seen with each stop down as the diffracted light
at the aperture is added to a decreasing total amount of light
passing through it. What we have in practice is the limitations of
lens design being mitigated a bit by stopping down, but then being
overtaken by diffraction.  So your Leica lens example is probably a
statement about the high quality of the lens correction to begin with.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA