[OM] Re: Magnum photographer shooting war with Olympus digital P&S

Subject: [OM] Re: Magnum photographer shooting war with Olympus digital P&S
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:07:13 -0300

> >Don't know if this has been mentioned before:
> >
> >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844
> >
> >Wow! I have both C5050 and C5060, may be I need a C8080 too :-)
> >
> >C.H.Ling
>
> I think if you like the C5060, you'd love the C8080.  The LCD doesn't flip
> as profoundly, but it still comes up and works well as a waist-level
> finder.  And of course the EVF allows you to do precise composition.
>
> Thanks for posting the link.  It's not surprising that a young pro like
> that would be all about challenging a few assumptions.  My only complaints
> about the C8080 is that the zoom moves too jerkily and RAW is not well
> supported both in the camera and in post-processing.
>
> I believe that Wrotniak has an article on using MyModes in the C5050 to
> pre-set focus and stop at various focal lengths for hyperfocal distance to
> make street shooting even easier.  That one's my to-do list for the C8080.
>
> Joel W.

When I was in Bolivia last month, I shot some pictures with the C5050 set to
the exact settings of Wrotniak's recommendations, for shooting like a Le*ca.
The only difference was that I used MyModes 1-4, and I think he used 5-8,
which of course would make no difference in picture quality. I would
recommend anyone try them out in actual experience before they depend on
them much, as I was quite disappointed by most of the shots taken that way.
I got very few acceptable shots using those pre-sets at hyperfocal
distances. Thankfully I didn't use it too much. In the future, I might try
setting them for a bit more DOF.
The mission in Canada that makes the radios we gave away used 4 pictures
that I took in Bolivia with the C5050, in their most recent publication. It
is in a printed version only though, not online. Their website can be found
here www.galcom.org . The pictures on their website are not mine. I wouldn't
claim responsibility for those ones :-)
Wayne Culberson