[OM] Re: Anobody use a Sunpak 120J flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anobody use a Sunpak 120J flash?
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:36:59 -0500
At 09:06 PM 5/31/2005, AG wrote:
>I'm contemplating one of these beasts. Anybody use, have, want
>to sell one?  I'd like opinions on it.  There really is no
>reason for me to stick with Vivitar anymore.

Finally got some time to reply to this.  There are two versions of the
120J, the "Auto" and the "TTL" models.  Both have low voltage trigger that
have worked with no problem with all my OM bodies (including the 2S and 4).

I have the TTL which requires the Sunpak foot for the specific camera
system it's used with for it to run in TTL mode (I have several for the OM
system).  However, I don't believe Sunpak has made a dedicated foot for the
Olympus digitals.  There is also a "generic" foot with single center
trigger contact.  The foot can be remoted using an EXT-11 cord which has a
foot on one end that attaches to the flash so it can be mounted to a flash
bracket (using a cold shoe), decent size coiled cord and the dedicated (or
generic) foot attaches to the other end.  The advantage of this unit, even
if you use the generic foot, is the sensor for use in "Normal Auto" mode is
on the foot.  If the flash is remoted using the EXT-11, whether or not
you're using a dedicated or generic foot, the "Normal Auto" sensor is on
the hot shoe end of the cord.

The "Auto" model  may look like it has a hot shoe foot in pictures of it,
but it doesn't.  What looks like a foot has a 1/4-20 socket for mounting to
a light stand or flash bracket (stroboframe, etc.) and comes with a
standard Sunpak trigger cord with a PC plug on the end.  However, the
"Auto" sensor remains on the flash body.  The Auto version has three auto
settings giving you a limited number of apertures you can use compared to
what a Vivitar 285/385HV has.  The specs on B&H show it skips two stops
from one setting to the next . . . but check that out to be certain . . .
their specs on this may not be 100% accurate . . . as it's different from
the auto settings on my TTL version.

With either one I very strongly recommend the TR-Pak battery slab!  You
won't get all that many flash cycles out of it running only on internal
"AA" cells and recycle time is significantly longer.  Note that the flash
must still have 4 "AA" cells in it to power the "Auto" or "TTL"
circuitry.  The slab only provides high voltage (~300 VDC) to recycle the
flash discharge capacitor.  I've never had a fully charged slab run out of
gas during a wedding . . . 6-8 hours of use and at least 200, more likely
about 250-300 photographs.  The slab requires about 6 hours to charge
(comes with its own charger block).  It also recycles the flash in about 2
seconds from full dump . . . compared to 5-7 seconds running only on fully
charged internal "AA" cells.

Don't expect a Quantum in terms of construction.  It's very much typical
Sunpak and the head mount (tilt and swivel) is just like that found on a
383 Super.  The bare bulb with reflector is bulkier and heavier than a
383's.  Mine sagged a bit from the weight of the head, but a small strip of
adhesive backed velcro loop material was just the right thickness when
stuck on the body just under the front of the head.  Hasn't sagged any more
since then.  If you swing it around quickly, or hold the camera in your
hand hanging down by your side, I've had the head start to swivel (from
gravity or momentum) a couple times.  Occurrence of this has been a rare
and I caught it when it happened, but you do need to watch that you don't
handle it in a way that would provide sufficient momentum to start
swiveling the head.

I use mine with a Quantum Q-Flash diffuser panel over the bowl . . . the
Quantum diffuser accessory comes with two identical panels and you can use
either one or both depending on how diffusion is required.  It does fit the
Sunpak, barely, but I've only been able to get it to fit with just one of
the two panels . . . it won't stay on if I try to use both panels.  Overall
it has been a very good flash for me and I've been very pleased with the
lighting it has created for me on top of the Custom Brackets and Newton
camera rotating brackets I have . . . but I'm also not using it to shoot
two weddings every weekend either.  It's relatively sturdy, and will hold
up quite well if reasonably cared for, but it isn't built like a tank like
a Quantum Q-Flash and cannot be tossed about like a Quantum Q-Flash (which
I'd love to have with a Turbo slab but just cannot justify the cost).  It's
the "poor man's" Q-Flash.

-- John Lind