[OM] Re: More E-thing lens questions

Subject: [OM] Re: More E-thing lens questions
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:33:58 +0200
AG wrote:
----
>Well, that's funny. I just did a little searching for bargain
>priced E-1 kits.  Nada, no-go, aint-gonna-happen.  Even yabe is
>slim pickings.  For a system that is "garbage" people just
>aren't dumping them.
>
>No, you can't have mine.
>
>AG (3000 images and counting) Schnozz
>

>BTW, JPEG-HQ images from the E-1 make excellent portrait prints
>in both 5x7 and 8x10 sizes with zero post-processing.  Not bad
>for 1.5MB files.
----
Hi zuiks

Bought mine on the bay for USD 1.375,-. That was last December and it
included a 1GB card! Shipping did cost an additional USD50,-. Customs
charged EUR 155,85 before they would let go ;-((. Total cost for the E-1
with the 14-54/2.8-3.5 lens added up to EUR 1.214,-, which is very good in
my book. Still haven't seen a new one at a better price at this side of the
big waters. The good EUR-USD rate (well at least seen from the buyers point
of view) sure helped a lot however. There was a little hassle too, since the
seller (digitalupgrade) first sent methe wrong (14-54) lens. He found it out
before I received the camera and lens however and he shipped the correct
lens before I returned the unwanted one. In fact the camera arrived with
both lenses at the same time. He might have made a mistake advertising the
E-1 with the wrong lens and ending up with less profit (or even loss?).

For your information, I hardly ever use anything else than JPEG-HQ on my
E-1. Simply haven't had the need for more sharpness (yet?). I cannot se the
difference between HQ and SHQ when printing 20X30 CM. Since I have the E-1 I
have hardly touched my OM's. The E-1 just spoils me. It is so much easier to
take pictures digitally. I am a very satisfied E-1 user with about 3000 shot
through the E-1. I shot 10-15 rolls a year the last couple of years, om my
OM-2n and 4Ti combined, so I guess I do shoot more. Is there more garbage?
Sure, But I end up with more useable and good shots as well.

I am not too fond of the 4/3 adapter however. I find I allready miss the AF
when using the still beloved OM-zuikos. I also think the 14-54 is very good
and this was quite a surprise to me. I hadn't axpected that from a zoom. I
think quite a lot has happened quality wise since I started using the OM-s
with prime zuikos and not wanting to bother with zooms. But that can be
expected in 30 years (gee has it really been that long, I must be getting
old ;-)). Also the stopping down before shooting is not one of my favourite
things, especially for non-landscape photo's. It just takes a little to
long. No problem for landscapes and the likes however. With the adapter I
use the 300/4.5 and a Tamron 90mm/2.5 macro mostly, because I have no DZ
lenses for that use yet. I am saving upo for the 50-200 and later the 50mm
and one of the wides after that. I would love to have the 7-14mm, but that
would require me to sell all of my OM equipment and I cannot bring myself to
that (yet).

I was laughing out loud about all the names you could come up with for the
PSAM knob. I find myself using the E-1 mostly on A, which makes it quite a
lot like the OM-2 and 4. I have gotten very used to this way af working and
still like it best. I would have liked Olympus tofeature the OTF measuring
system on the E-1 as well however. Would make working with the 4/3 adapter
easier too, because you could stop down while holding the shutter and
releasing a shot everytime you stop down. When I do that now every next
exposere is on stop darker. Haden't realised that.

Kind regards and keep on shooting (on film or digital and with camera's, not
guns)

Wiliam Wagenaar